Monday, June 15, 2009

Let's talk Recovery (Socks)

The wonderful people at The Recovery Sock were kind enough to send me a pair to try out. You may have heard about these gems from a few other bloggers who have raved about them, but here's a little bit of info.

About Compression:

Compression is not a new technology; it has been used for years in medical patients with venous and arterial insufficiency. However, the application of this technology to athletics is relatively new. There is clear evidence to support compression use in promoting recovery. Using compression socks after a race or hard workout provide a substantial benefit.

These garments will help to avoid venous stasis (blood pooling in the legs) and swelling. Compression is particularly helpful in depended areas of the body, such as the feet and lower legs where gravity has a greater effect on blood return. Improved blood flow after a workout results in enhanced nutrient delivery and removal of waste products to and from muscles. This creates a situation optimal for muscle repair, reduced stiffness and heaviness in the legs and possibly less soreness.

Several studies have demonstrated that post exercise blood lactate levels were lower with compression sock use both during and after exercise. Other studies have demonstrated that compression socks do create a major fluid shift in the body. Compression garments are believed to improve venous blood return to the heart and allow for better cardiac output (flow of oxygenated blood from the heart) thereby aiding oxygen delivery to working muscles and increased endurance.




Why The Recovery Sock®


The Recovery Sock’s® advantage is that it’s compression socks incorporate a Patented Graduated Compression design that enhances and stimulates circulation in the lower leg - making it a superior sock. Recovery Sock’s Running and Recovery Socks can help anyone looking for a boost in athletic performance!

Worldwide Patent
Exclusive wicking and antibacterial fiber
Improves oxygen delivery to muscles
Lactic acid production reduced
Proven cramp relief
Tested and used by World Class athletes


I received mine a couple weeks ago and have been wearing them after a run every chance I get, but I didn't have a chance to really put them to the test until this weekend. I headed out for my long run on Saturday, knowing that I had a shorter distance race on Sunday. As a rule, I always take the day off after a long run, so this was going to be an exception and I knew I would be giving my legs a bit of a challenge.

I slipped on my hot pink recovery socks after a shower and kept them on most of the day. First of all, they're super comfy (not to mention sexy) and I did not want to take them off. The best part is, my legs felt fantastic in the morning! No lingering soreness, fatigue or stiffness. During the race on Sunday, I completely forgot that I had run 20K the day before. I'm sold!

I can't wait to really see what these bad boys can do as my long runs increase this summer. They are definitely going to be a staple in my wardrobe.

29 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

nice pink socks! Love 'em! I have a pair from another brand, but will have to find a pair of these, great review!

Unknown said...

I love Recovery Socks. I have a gray pair, but think I will definitely be springing for the pink ones!

Nancy D said...

i have a pair and used once... think i'll be pulling them out more often now. Thanks for the advertising. :)

Anonymous said...

Good post. Looks like something I need to invest in :)

Unknown said...

oh.my.gosh - they're pink - how cool is that?!?!

Jamie said...

glad you like them! I love my pink recovery socks too!

Anonymous said...

I really need to invest in a pair, I just keep hearing wonderful things about them.

I am sure you will use them a lot since you always seem to have a race.

Pfeffernuss said...

Do you have to wear the socks after a race, not while you´re running? Here in Europe are many socks that should be worn while you´re running.

Denise said...

I wore mine after my 30 miler and I'm thinking that's why my legs felt so great that night and the next morning!

Matt (No Meat Athlete) said...

More and more evidence that these things really work! Question: are they meant to be worn during the run, afterward for recovery, or both?

If I don't get calf stiffness (I feel it more in my knees), will they still be beneficial? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

How long do they last? A lot of clothes you wash and wear and they kind of lose form...does this happen to these socks?

And in adjunct with other posts...just by reading the way that these socks work--might be beneficial for some people with chronic leg pain to wear the socks during a run and also afterward? (Like an ACE bandage might be used)

Melanie Tait said...

Wow - that's really interesting. I wonder whether they're worth wearing after every full on run?

Jess said...

Glad they worked so well for you!

Nitmos said...

Are you allowed to call hot pink recovery socks "bad boys"? Not sure about that.

Gotta Run..... said...

I love pink anything! Have not tried these but once my workout budget allows i will.

X-Country2 said...

I LOVE my pink Recovery Socks! Aren't they awesome? I've worn them to the grocery store loud and proud.

J said...

My mom has a pair of compression socks and they really work well for her. She took them from my dad when he had his surgery. I have yet to try them though. Glad they are working out for you!

I Run for Fun said...

Thanks for the review...cool hot pink socks!

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what to think about these things, haha. Thanks for all the info!! I'll be anxious to see how you like them as you start using them more often. very cool that you got them for free though! ;)

No Longer Using said...

yay! i'm buying these!!!! so glad you like them. can't wait to get the pink ones:)

Lindsay said...

i love compression socks!! at first i was in disbelief - thinking how could these knee-highs make me feel good, but i am totally a believer now. they are awesome! glad you are liking them too :)

Heather said...

I need some of those! Hoping to find some at the expo this weekend.

yumke said...

Interesting, I've been eyeing them since I read about them a few months ago. Could be good for in a little bit when I start running those 20 milers

Unknown said...

Wonder how those hot pink socks would look on my manly legs?

A Toronto girl out West said...

So is this something that you need once your runs get really long?

I'm intrigued but I'm concerned they may be superfluous right now.

Mmmmm . . . advice?

Felice Devine said...

I really need to get a pair of those socks!

Runner Leana said...

Love the bright pink socks! I think I might want a pair!

Unknown said...

My favorite brand of compression sock, Sigvaris, just came out with an Athletic Recovery Sock that I've been wearing for a week... I totally love them. They're white, with a cool looking set of gray stripes. Got them at Healthy Leg Depot

CEP Compression Socks said...

I came across your blog and found your reviews insightful and detailed. I am the Sales Manager for CEP Compression Sportswear. Have you heard of CEP Socks before?

We are actually owned by medi; one of the worlds leading medical compression companies. We have Run / Recover compression socks that I'd like to have you try and review for us. Every brand claims to have "Graduated" compression. Most products on the market can say this without backing it up because they're not tight enough to be medical grade. Anything below medical grade, 20mmHg, is considered over the counter and not regulated.

In order to penetrate your deep veins and target the arteries you need a specific amount of compression. One sign to look for is when a product goes by shoe size. How does the athlete know they're getting the right amount of compression? Shoe size doesn't tell the circumference of ones leg which will determine the size range to get targeted compression. For example, I'm a size 12 shoe but have a 14.75" calf. In our competitor products I'm always a L or XL. In CEP I'm the men's smallest size. This is means I'm getting true graduated compression tuned for athletic performance.

It's important for us to spread the truth about compression and that not all compression products match what they claim. We have a published medical study that I can send you that shows runners had 5% better performance running in our socks and used 6% less energy. That's 10-12min in a marathon! Our socks aren't just for recovery but for performance as well. That's what makes them so great.

I would like to get you a sock and sleeve to review and possible some compression shorts in a month when they arrive from Germany. Please let me know your calf circumference, color preference and the address to send them to. Go to our website to see the socks we have. I really appreciate your time and let me know if you're willing to post a review on our products. Thanks and I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Website: www.cepsportswear.com

Sincerely,

Michael Potter
CEP Compression
cepsportswear@mediusa.com