Friday, June 05, 2009

Let the training begin

Last night we kicked off the summer session of our marathon clinic. Same instructor, same pace group leaders (I'll be sticking with the 4:00 group again, although I don't anticipate a 4:00 marathon), many of the same members and new faces too - it's going to be awesome.

Our official goal race is the Toronto Waterfront Marathon (where I will seek redemption) but some people will be training towards other fall marathons. I love the variety of our experiences and goals and I know it's going to be a fun summer. I just have to make sure I'm not sidelined by another freak accident.

The group meets Thursdays for our weekly chat/guest speaker(s) and speed work and on Sundays for long runs. Many people also get together on Wednesdays for a 10K run so I'll try to get in on that action whenever I can.

I don't have a copy of the complete program yet, but I'll post more details once I do.

Our coach was kind enough to bring in a CD for everyone with photos taken throughout last session. Here's a sampling.

That's me introducing myself on our first night way back in January:



The 4:00 pace group before our first Sunday run (far right):



Some of our group before the Mississauga Marathon:



And a couple more from Ottawa:




***

I'm heading out for 16K after work since MudRun will be taking the place of my long run on Sunday. I expect tired legs this evening because (a) it'll be my 4th day in a row running and (b) I don't think I have ever run >13K after work, but I'll get through it!

27 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

It is empowering to run with a group...good for you, you go girl.

Most importantly Have fun!

Anonymous said...

How fun! Thanks for sharing the photos :)

J said...

Great photos! Its great to have such a fun group to run with! I was thinking about joining a training group!

Runner Leana said...

Ohhh, good luck with the clinic!!!!

Heather said...

The clinic sounds really fun - good luck with the training!

Mark said...

I'm gonna follow you close because I am seeking to break four hours and that would be the pace group I'd be with! Best of luck!

Stacey said...

Looks like you have a great group. Fun pics. Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Looks like a fun group. Have fun.

tfh said...

Ooh, 16k after work? I hope you've got some indulgent post-run Friday night plans! Also, why don't you anticipate a 4:00 marathon? Did I miss something between your speedyspeedy 13.1s and now?

Aron said...

YAY marathon training! so fun you have the group :)

Jess said...

I think you could easily do a 4 hour marathon!

No Longer Using said...

it's SO awesome that you have a running coach and a team!!!! can't wait to hear more about the schedule!! oh and let me know what you think of that running from the devil book!

Marci said...

I am training with a group that is targeting Scotia. We are looking at the Advanced Marathon plan that is on their website. Check it out, it incorporates race pace runs every other week. I think we will morph this will a Pfitz type plan. Happy training, and you don't need any "redemption", but you will kick the crap out of scotia I'm sure!

Denise said...

yea for running groups! They are the best!

Good luck with your run after work, you'll feel great afterwards!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

have fun with the group again! :D

cath said...

did you say that was summer?!..good luck with the training...looks like a fun group...

I Run for Fun said...

Great pics. Every one looks so excited! Glad you have a fun group going. Good luck in all your training.

Felice Devine said...

Awesome! Sounds cool.

Anonymous said...

Cool pics! :) It's gotta be so nice to have a Group you train with. I'm realizing that one of the Biggest things I love about running is that 'community' feeling - running with others, sharing experiences, blogging, motivating each other, etc. Sounds like you have a great summer And training session ahead of you! :)

Dori said...

I miss my Marathon training group. I made good friends with the members of the Mpls. training program. Here in SLO, there isn't a training program so I have to coach myself.

Unknown said...

I think this is so awesome. I should do the same thing. Hmmm.. clinic ? Please do spare all the bloody details about this one.

Erika said...

Sounds like a fun group! I wish I could run with a group, but unfortunately, my schedule revolves around my kids' school schedule, sigh.

Hope you had a nice run.

MCM Mama

chris mcpeake said...

good luck on your training. Having a group to run with is aways great.

Toni said...

Looks like a great group, have fun with your training!

Kevin Westbrook said...

Good luck on your marathon. I think we are both trying for our second. If a marathon could think, I believe it would be surprised I am coming back for it again after the butt-whooping I took in the first one. I like your word "redemption." I couldn't think of a better word to use. Good luck in your training!

Lindsay said...

running with other people is way more fun! looks like a great group. hope the mud run went well today! those are so fun but i'm not a fan of trying to reclaim my clothes after :)

Anonymous said...

That is a goal marathon time for me, but I have a lot of work to do to get there! I can't wait to read more about your training :) Looks like a fun group!