Friday, June 26, 2009

In desperate need of a shower

We're going camping with another couple this weekend and I knew I wasn't going to have the motivation opportunity to complete my long run, so I decided to run to work this morning.

Logistically, this took some preparation. I left my car (along with a bag of clothes, toiletries and food) here last night and got a ride home. This morning I had hubby drop me off one town closer to work (home was just a little too far). I wore my new Nathan Intensity bladder-pack, which is made exclusively for women - love it! I was armed with plenty of water, a couple gels, ID, cash and my cell phone. I had also informed one of my co-workers that I would be running to work and which route I was taking (I'm a little paranoid).

I started running at 5:30AM sharp and my legs were pretty slow and stiff at first, but I gradually found my rhythm as I warmed up and it felt pretty good. The route was net downhill with just a few good climbs to keep me honest. Traffic was very light for the first half, but there were definitely a lot of cars buzzing by as I got closer to work (I took a major road the entire way - with sidewalks of course). It was a beautiful, cool morning and it was pretty awesome being out there as the sun rose.

Two quick pit stops along the way, and I arrived at the office around 7:30 - leaving me plenty of time to freshen up before stating my day at 8.

20KM, 2:00:27

About the freshening up... we don't have showers at work and I don't have access to a gym nearby. *gasp* I semi-washed my hair in the bathroom sink and used a combination of baby wipes and body spray to disguise the fact that I had just run for two hours. Not much can be done about my red face, although it's finally subsiding.

I definitely enjoyed commuting on foot and will likely do it again. I'll just have to remember to leave more food at the office next time! I thought I had plenty, but I'm ravenous!

Tonight we leave for our little camping getaway, so I hope everyone has a great weekend and I'll check back in on Sunday. Wilderness, cold drinks, swimming, campfires and RELAXATION - here I come!

28 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

ewww, no showers, jk. Sounds like you planned it out well. Kudos to you for waking up so early to get it done, knowing it would be tough to do on the weekend. Now go relax, enjoy. You deserve it.

RunToTheFinish said...

oye i am such a sweaty mess after a sticky run here that I must have a shower

Unknown said...

without the option to shower, i just couldn't do it. good for you!

JenZen said...

LOL! LOVE that you ran to work to get your run in and that you freshened up in the bathroom. Now THAT'S dedication.

J said...

Its awesome you ran to work!! Stinks about no showers though! Have a great weekend!

No Longer Using said...

wow good for you!!!!!!!!!!!! craaaaaazy idea but crazy AMAZING!! hehehe. that's too bad you don't have showers, but it sounds like you were creative with working around that :) have a GREAT weekend!

Marky Mark said...

now THAT is serious dedication! 5:30 start and no shower--fun to be work with the obstacles, isn't it? Enjoy the weekend!

Mark said...

Awesome job!! Have a great time camping!

Jamie said...

I could not run for 2 hours and not shower. Great job waking up early and getting it done. Have a great time this weekend!

Felice Devine said...

You are awesome. That is just too cool.

I could never do it, though. I get so smelly after my runs! I have to shower just to stand myself!

Have fun this weekend.

Unknown said...

You're definitely a true runner! You just get it done! Have fun camping.

Toni said...

That's great you ran to work. I hope you enjoy your camping trip.

Christy said...

You're braver than I! I sprint to the finish of my runs because I KNOW the shower is my next stop!

Denise said...

Great job getting the run in! Although I'd never be able to go without a shower. I sweat like a beast.

teacherwoman said...

Sounds like a great way to get to work! Nice job!

Enjoy your weekend of wildnerness!

Anonymous said...

That's so inspirational that you ran to work just to get the run in!!!! I will have to keep you in mind when I'm feeling lazy! :) Have fun camping!!!!

Bruce said...

I often sit around the house not showering after a run. Mostly to gross out the wife.

Lily on the Road said...

good job on the run to work, we don't have showers either. There is NO way I could sit there after just a "bird bath". LOL

Have a great time camping, who cares if you shower there!!!

Jess said...

I don't think I could do that if I weren't rewarded with a shower at the end! But good for you.

Enjoy camping this weekend!

X-Country2 said...

Not having a shower at work is always my excuse, but I guess it can be done. Nice work!

montisse98 said...

Nice job! It just goes to show that when there's a will, there's a way..

Have a wonderful weekend!

Lindsay said...

i'm sure you did a good enough job with your 'bird bath'. nice commute-run to work! not only do you feel good for having ran, but you have that "yeah, i ran to work" high too! at least it's not too hot yet right? could've been smellier :)

joyRuN said...

Great job running to work!

I live too far from work, but it sounds awesome :)

Anonymous said...

12+ miles before work?! Very impressive!!! :) the shower situation does present some challenges, but when it's not as hot outside you'll be fine. haha

hope you had a good weekend camping!

EndorphinBuzz said...

I hope you had time a shower before leaving for camping :)

macnic said...

You are awesome! I know that not showering doesn't mean not clean. I hope you do do this again! Sounds awesome!

Erika said...

Way to get that run in!

MCM Mama

Runner Leana said...

Great job on the run into work! Nice planning ahead and getting it done!