Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Intervals and Physio

I set out this morning for 3x1600, after enjoying a bit of a sleep-in thanks to a 9am appointment.

It felt unusual to be running at 7am on a weekday, but it was nice to have some daylight on this cool, damp, fall morning. Because of the time, I didn't think I would be able to sneak onto the PRIVATE! NO TRESPASSING! track so I was resigned to using a make-shift loop on our usual park paths.

Just as I was about to get started, I realized that my iPod had gone haywire and refused to play. *grumble* I wasn't too excited about running intervals solo without music, but the only thing to do was.... RUN!

Off we go. (3K warm-up)

Target: 3 x 1600 @ ~5K pace (7:12)

7:12 - nailed the pace but feeling really tired and not wanting to run two more!

7:19 - legs did not want to move at all! ugh. even had to stop for a few seconds at 800.

7:36 - this is so not happening! I was running closer to tempo/HM pace through most of this repeat. bah!

I don't know what was up today. I shouldn't really be tired, but sometimes there is just no good explanation. A few weeks ago I ran 3x1600 at an average of 7:10, so this was definitely not a good showing. Ah well, I did what I could do today and now it's behind me.


After a quick shower, I was off to physio before work. I had scheduled the appointment for "maintenance" but my left calf has been feeling tight, so I asked Dr. Pain to go ahead and have a field day with it. (Could you hear me screaming??) He found a massive knot and worked on that sucker for a solid hour (including some ultrasound and electrical stimulation). I walked out feeling great ... with only a slight limp. ;)

27 comments:

Aron said...

meh, you got them done and thats what counts! you have been nailing everything, so one off workout doesnt mean anything :) keep it up!

Carly said...

Great job getting them done. I hope your the knot in your calf is better. It sounds like it got quite a work out.

Bethany + Ryan said...

Still a speed workout! Boo for the private track! Glad urcalf is feeling better, doesn't sound like a fun appt.

Anne said...

Isn't it normal to feel tired when you are tapering? You are totally ready...especially now that the knot in your calf has been given a good workout :)

Anonymous said...

Hope your calf feels better soon! And I know this may sound weird, but maybe your body is just used to running at the wee hours in the morning. So even though you got to "sleep in" maybe your body needed to adjust to the new time you were running. I find myself have issues when I run at different times of the day.

dawn @ running the dawn said...

i have that same workout on tap for tomorrow. i can't say that i'm looking forward to it. but, like you, i'll get it done and move on. your 5k pace is blazing fast! i haven't run a 5k in YEARS, so i have no way to judge how fast i should be going.

Katie A. said...

Way to stick it out! You've been on top of all your training since the start - don't beat yourself up! You did great!
I need a Dr. Pain - I should start looking!
Happy Tuesday!

Laura said...

Just a blip I am sure.
I really need to make a massage apt...but also know it is going to hurt....

Runners Fuel said...

Good job getting that done!!

J said...

If I could run i would totally do the same thing tomorrow morning since I have a doctors appointment. But sadly my appointment is for my knee soo I prolly shouldn't run :)

I have totally felt like that on those mile repeats. After the first one I feel great but then its all downhill from there! Great job getting it done!

Denise said...

it's crazy how one day we can have it in us and the next we don't. just brush yourself off and go get 'em next time!

teacherwoman said...

I was wondering who was making all that noise! I also think that there are some days those intervals are a lot "easier" than other days... just one of those days, I presume.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

You accomplish so much early in your day!
Don't be so hard on yourself. You still held a great pace. Someitmes it's just a mental thing and the mind is just not there!

Tomorrow is another opportunity.

Emz said...

YAY for PT and finishing strong.

Love Shelly's last line . .

"Tomorrow is another opportunity" well said Shelly. I second that.

Jen said...

Dude weren't you just sick on the weekend?? Be kind to yourself! You will rock the marathon!!

I hope your calf is OK :(

Anonymous said...

hey at least you pushed through all three of them! The legs still benefit from the effort, even if the speeds aren't always the same ;)

Nicole said...

a tempo run in the books is better than no run at all! great job!

Jamie said...

Even though you weren't feeling them you stuck with it. Way to get em done!

Lindsay said...

i definitely don't think this is a 'fail' workout. (i know, you didn't say it was -- i always hate when people make it sound like i'm beating myself up. ok back to you now.) anyway i don't think it was a 'fail' -- sure last time you rocked the workout, but you can't do that every time. i don't think paula radcliffe rocks every workout ya know? you worked it and pushed yourself to the limit for that day, that's all that counts. you made mental gains in persevering that's for sure!

(aren't my comments so much better when i have a keyboard/computer instead of a stupid iphone?) :)

Anonymous said...

I suspect your body is just going through cycles associated with your training. You got the work done- that is an accomplishment in itself - and the results WILL follow!

Jill said...

One of those mysteries of the running life. Good job getting done, though, and YAY for getting to sleep in a bit :).

Heather said...

Still a solid run - they can't all be perfect!

Amy said...

Marlene, you have so many amazing runs, intervals, splits and race reports, I was beginning to think you never had a bad day! I'm sure this was just a little blip and your next run will be back to normal awesomeness!

No Longer Using said...

ahhhhhhhhh calf massages are soooooooo painful!!!!!

and when is your rest/break time?! :) you deserve some.

Anonymous said...

Ack- calf knots are horrible! Great job on nailing your times!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

you were still super speedy..I think that is mile time on not KM, right??

I need a Dr. Pain :)

Runner Leana said...

At first I read physio and I thought, "uh oh!" But maintenance is a good thing!