Monday, March 28, 2011

Week 12

I'm feeling great at the end of another big week, especially with a couple of major workouts including a new 5K PR (see Thursday!). I feel like I should be more sore and tired than I am, but I continue pushing those "too good to be true" doubts out of my head and making sure that I'm following my own rules for staying strong, healthy and focused. There's still a lot more work to do, but that home stretch is almost in sight.


Monday - xtrain/rest

I'm all over the rest!!!



Tuesday - 24K medium-long (2 runs) with "triple threat" intervals

I headed out over lunch for a steady 8K. I knew I wasn't supposed to "cheat" by taking it too easy before my intervals after work, so I just cruised at a pretty "normal" pace and finished with negative splits.

8.3KM (5.1mi) - 45:12 - 5:27/KM (8:46/mi)

Run # 2 is when things got serious!

"Doozie Twosday"

800 @ 5K - 1600 @ 10K - 3200 @ MRP [back-to-back]
1000 recovery
3200 @ MRP - 1600 @ 10K - 800 @ 5K [back-to-back]

800 [goal 3:28] - 3:25
1600 [goal 7:12] - 7:09
3200 [goal 16:42] - 16:30
1000 recovery
3200 [goal 16:42] - 16:28
1600 [goal 7:12] - 7:09
800 [goal 3:28] - 3:24

16.2KM (10.1mi) - 1:22:46 - 5:07/KM (8:13/mi)



Wednesday - 10K recovery

Thanks to an unwelcome gift from Mother Nature, I resorted to the treadmill for my recovery run. I knew I needed to take it really easy, and that simply would not be possible when trudging through snow. I plugged along reading my ereader and got it done. Legs felt pretty good.



10.0KM (6.2mi) - 1:00:00 - 6:00/KM (9:39/mi)






Thursday - 13K with speedwork TBD

I wasn't sure what we had on the plan for clinic night. The majority of the group wanted to keep it on the lighter side since they were planning on a hard effort at Around the Bay on Sunday, so we settled on a tempo run of 4-6K after a warm-up jog to the park. The path had been flooded and then frozen over so there were a few treacherous patches which required stepping lightly.


I took off with my group and looked down to see something closer to 5K race pace than tempo pace when my Garmin chimed after the first K. Oops! I backed off slightly, but the pace was still much faster than intended. As I approached 2.5K I realized that I was on target for a 5K PR, so I decided to go for it.
 
Previous PR was 22:35 last July (which nearly killed me).
 
Thursday night splits: 4:25 - 4:38 - 4:25 - 4:23 - 4:22 (avg pace 4:25/KM = 7:06/mi)
 
22:03 5K! 
 
I was definitely working at the end, but it certainly didn't feel like a 5K race effort. I can't wait to see what I can do at a race in a couple weeks.

13.0KM (8.1mi) - 1:08:24 - 5:16/KM (8:28/mi)



Friday - 8K recovery

Cold and sunny lunch run. You know the drill! My legs were only slightly sore and tired from the night before, but I kept it nice and easy and ran the usual "square."










8.4KM (5.2mi) - 48:26 - 5:46/KM (9:17/mi)



Saturday - 7K easy

Hubs and I headed out on another cold but sunny day for a nice morning run. Legs felt good!



7.2KM (4.5mi) - 39:29 - 5:29/KM (8:50/mi)



Sunday - 35K long (incl. 30K race)

Hubs and I added on a few miles before the run. It was beneficial for taking us to a washroom far enough away from the starting area that there weren't lines, as well as helping with last minute wardrobe decisions. for the race.

4.6KM (2.9mi) - 26:19 - 5:43/KM (9:12/mi)

Around the Bay 30K - race report to follow!

30.3KM (18.8mi) - 2:55:49 - 5:48/KM (9:20/mi) [I did some back-tracking]



Week 12 Total: 98.0 KM (60.9mi)
Total time: 9:06:25
Average pace: 5:35/KM (8:58/mi)

7 weeks to Mississauga Marathon! (less than 50 days!)

30 comments:

Bethany + Ryan said...

jeesh! You are on fire! amazing job!!! that is a fabulous 5k time! You are so right on pace for a huge PR! I always feel like such a major slacker after reading your posts since you run twice as much as me! hopefully I'll be able to get out there more after the wedding and honeymoon craziness die down. Congrats on a new PR and another GREAT week!!!

Denise said...

did you plug that 5k time into mcmillian?? :-)

7 weeks is going to fly by. stay strong, you'll be through this before you know it!

kristen said...

It isn't too good to be true...it is hard work :)

Now, start thinking happy thoughts for the weather- with the cold month of March (lousy smarch weather...) it is not allowed to get hot in May for race day!

chris mcpeake said...

great week. Looking forward to your ATB report.

Emily said...

ew snow! im pissed about the cold in dc but at least we don't have that.

nice job on another totally stellar week of training!

fancy nancy said...

Way to go on your PR!! Speedy girl you are!! 7 weeks and it sounds like you are right on track to awesomeness!

Steel Springs said...

Awesome week once again! Congratulations on the PR!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

This training cycle is just falling into place! I can't wait to see how it all comes together on race day!

misszippy said...

You are totally rocking the training. Ride it all the way to the start/finish line!

Johann said...

You are doing so well, fantastic! Keep it going!

Runners Fuel said...

great job! Your Twosdays are crazy!!

Gotta Run..... said...

Now that is a solid number for the week! No wonder you needed a good physio appt today. Well deserved!

Amy said...

All of your hard work is paying off! What a great week! Looking forward to the Around The Bay RR!

Jen B. said...

What a great week!!!

Jess said...

What a week!

dawn @ running the dawn said...

you are just killing this training cycle. seriously!!!! impressive :)

Emz said...

Awesome job.

Seriously - still snow?!

imagine what you can do in good weather! ;)

Mercy Book Club said...

Nice week Marlene! It sure was cold over the weekend! I am loving the sun but not the wind!

Being Robinson said...

it looks like you are well on your way to showing that marathon who's boss!

Kerrie said...

Woohoo! Fast lady!

N.D. said...

holy moly mileage!! and great job on the 5k!!! you are doing great!

Unknown said...

WOW, lots of running this week! You are GOING to be SO ready for your marathon!!
It still looks so cold up there...

ajh said...

Cold but sunny, Yup! That is what we keep having.

Awesome training week yet again. Can't wait to see the race report.

Anne said...

I love the strength that emanates from your workouts ALL THE TIME!!! I'm getting really excited for Mississauga! :)

Nicole said...

my hero!!! :) cant wait for a marlene hug!!!

Julie D. said...

WHOAA!! that is one crazy week!! awesome job!! Congrats on the 5K PR...can't wait to see a race time too!! Seriously, I can't wait for your marathon. Your training is some seriously good stuff. Keep it up, Marlene!!

Richelle said...

Another impressive week in the books! I'm looking forward to the Around the Bay race report. :)

Anonymous said...

Another rockin' week! And your big race will be here before you know it!! :) YAY!!

Aron said...

another KILLER week!!! 7 weeks goes by so fast - gahhhh :)

Anonymous said...

Whew, 60 miles + a 30K "race" + a 5K PR!! You're a non-stop improvement machine over here... ;)