Monday, March 07, 2011

Week 9

Last week things were shuffled around quite a bit. I normally take Mondays off, but decided to run since my long run had been on Saturday. Then on Tuesday I decided to lay off the mileage a bit in favour of a mini-taper for the half marathon.

What's the point of a training plan if not to re-arrange it? ;)


Monday - rest 13K

I thought it would be a good idea to stock up on some mileage earlier in the week so I could take it easier closer to the race. I decided to just run a comfortable pace and see what that turned out to be. The roads and sidewalks were an icy mess and I had several close calls as I did my best to dodge the worst patches. At one point, I literally slid forward several feet on a stretch of ice, but somehow I didn't go down.
13.0K (8.1mi) - 1:13:09 - 5:37/KM (9:05/mi)



Tuesday - 24K medium-long (2 runs)

On Tuesday I was not in the mood to run at all. Missing my rest day really messed with my head! After consulting with my coach hubs, I decided not to force it and knew I could afford to back off the mileage a little with a race coming up. In the end I knew that missing one medium-long day would not affect my marathon in May, and taking it easier could only help my half marathon on the weekend. It didn't take much to convince me that day! I ended up running a little 6K over lunch and an even shorter run on the treadmill after work. I ran less than half of my originally planned mileage for the day, but didn't feel bad about it.

6.1KM (3.8mi) - 32:07 - 5:16/KM (8:28/mi)

5.0KM (3.1mi) - 28:46 - 5:45/KM (9:16/mi)



Wednesday - 10K 13K recovery

I finally had some mojo back on Wednesday and decided to capitalize on it by adding a few K to the planned run. Wednesday night is Run Club at my local store, so as usual I had some great company. A few of us vowed to stick to a nice and slow recovery pace and chugged along complaining about the bitter cold. It took me forever to warm up after the run - even my usual hot bath followed by cozy jammies and hot chocolate didn't seem to do the trick!

13.2KM (8.2mi) - 1:20:04 - 6:04/KM (9:46/mi)



Thursday - 13K 6K with 4x400 @ 5KRP

Having added Monday's run, I was able to lighten the distance on Thursday. I had some "gentle" speed work on the schedule - just enough to keep the legs moving, but not enough to tire me out. I had a physio appointment in the afternoon, which makes my muscles soooo happy but I usually try to avoid running afterwards. That meant a 5:30AM run so I was on the treadmill again. (I can't wait for spring/summer mornings!!)



I kept my intervals very conservative at 8.5 mph (=1:45/400), which is actually slower than my 800s in Week 6 and my 1000s in Week 8. I whizzed through this workout easily and felt like a bit of a slacker, but also knew that I was supposed to be taking it easy.

6.0KM (3.7mi) - 33:22 - 5:34/KM (8:57/mi) 



Friday - 6K recovery

I ran at lunch on a calm and sunny afternoon with barely a breeze and asked "Why oh why can't this be the weather for SUNDAY?" I had a hard time slowing my legs down and threw in some 100m strides to get some quick turn-over going. Last run before the race!

6.0KM (3.7mi) - 32:19 - 5:23/KM (8:40/mi)



Saturday - rest

Checking theweathernetwork.com every five minutes hoping the awful forecast would change! (it didn't)



Sunday - Chilly Half Marathon

21.1KM (13.1KM) - 1:42:22 - 4:51/KM (7:48.mi)

Race report to follow.



Total Week 9 Mileage: 70.4KM (43.7mi)
Total time: 6:22:09
Average pace: 5:26/KM (8:44/mi)

10 weeks til Mississauga Marathon

23 comments:

fancy nancy said...

Sounds like you played it very wise all week! I can't wait to hear about the half! Oh how I miss my treadmill and the ability to get in early runs in my jammies!

Denise said...

the suspense....can't wait to read the race report!

Teamarcia said...

Great week and spectacular race AND PR in tough conditions! WOOT!

Anonymous said...

now thats a big smile!! yay for doing so great at Chilly! congrats on such a strong and wonderful race.

can i hire u to train me?? hahahah

u r rocking all ur runs and races lately! sooo happy for u!

macnic said...

Another great week! Can't wait to read the race report!

No Longer Using said...

i had to come out of comment hibernation to give you a HOO-RAH because you are amazing. congrats on an awesome race, pace, and PR marlene! :)

Emily said...

CONGRATS on the half marathon race PR (I was following it all on twitter yesterday and have to add in: my BQ was when I had a 1:45 half. You can SO do it!)

Gotta Run..... said...

You named you finishing time and HIT IT!!! Cannot wait on the full report! WAY TO GO GIRL!

Jen Feeny said...

You're killing me smalls! I need that race recap stat!!! :) 10 weeks!!!!!!

Runners Fuel said...

Another great week! way to go on the half!

Anonymous said...

Still a high-mileage week in most books ;) haha, you're keeping those legs busy!

CONGRATS on the race!!! Can't wait to read about it!

AM! said...

Hi there,
Nice job on tapering and performing for your half! that's great! And I'm shivering just looking at your finish picture (i'm in california)!

Congrats!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

You are rocking your training and being very smart.. Playing it day by day and listening to your body.. So PROUD of you darlin!!

J said...

I had to do a double take on the comments because I saw Lacey Commented! She is still around - lurking! lol

Absolutely awesome week and congrats on the PR! I hope I can channel your speediness when I run my half!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like all your plan tweaking really paid off! Congrats on an awesome week of runs and racing! Woooo hooO!

Laura said...

Great week and race...Let's hope the Bay has a better day.

Being Robinson said...

you're training is so amazing lately. and HUGE congrats on your PR. that is an incredible race time. i hope to channel my inner marlene the next few months and get a killer half PR myself!

Darlene said...

Fabulous! You are an inspiration!!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

You must be really ready for spring between your crazy slide during training run and tough weather for the half. Oh well, at least you killed the half- can't wait to read about it!

Nicole said...

Raise the ROOF Marlene is in town! WOOOOOT!! :)

5 Miles Past Empty said...

Awesome half!!!!! I am sitting here waiting until your race report is posted....getting more coffee...and a snack..... =)

Bethany + Ryan said...

i'm so proud of you! that is a fabulous half time! Your hard work is paying off! I still haven't run over 35 miles a week yet in training for Boston, ahhh lol.

Lindsay said...

way to pull it together in time for the weekend to get back on track ;)

i'm big on rearranging. except my m-th looks like 0-0-0-0 and then i cram everything in fri-sat-sun.