Friday, November 10, 2006

Introduction

I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember.

At 13 I weighed almost 200 pounds. The summer after grade 9 (14-years-old) I starved myself and lost more than 50 pounds in a few short months. Miraculously, I didn't end up in the hospital. I finally saw a doctor and nutritionst when I was 15 and managed to lose a few more pounds over several months, in a much healthier manner; a nutritious diet and exercise.

At 16, I met my husband and quickly fell in love! As usually happens with relationships, I became "comfortable" and gradually gained back 10 pounds or so. At 17, I went away for a summer course in Quebec and lost it all and more, again with the starvation technique. When I came home, I was the skinniest I can remember being, probably weighing about 130 pounds.

Over the next few years, I gained a whopping 70 pounds +. All I know is that when my husband proposed (I was 20), I weighed more than 200 pounds again. Between our engagement (June 2003) and wedding (September 2005) I went on a series of "fad" diets. I even tried the soup diet! (I made my friends and family vow to slap me if I ever consider that again!) I'd lose 10 pounds, then gain them back (and more) over and over again. The most success I had was from September 2004 to Christmas 2004 when I lost about 30 pounds and was down to a reasonable 175. Unfortunately, I gained about 15 back before our wedding. The wedding came and went and by January 2006, I weighed 200 pounds again. I joined a gym with my Mom and took on a healthy eating regimen based on the Podleski sisters' books Looney Spoons, Crazy Plates and Eat, Shrink & Be Merry. I have slacked off in the nutrition department in recent months, but I have consistently gone to the gym 3-5 days a week since January and have lost about 20 pounds. I am currently hovering a little over 180 and have been for a couple months.

What else can I tell you about myself? I am now 24, married but no children (yet). I'm about 5'8" and like I said, hovering just over 180 pounds. I am not happy with my weight and I really feel like I need to try something new. Inspired by some friends from the Weddingbells Health message boards, I borrowed the South Beach Diet books and read them (almost) cover-to-cover. I think this might work for me.

Why have I decided to keep a 'blog of my experience? Mostly because I think it will keep me accountable and therefore motivated to stick to it. Plus, I've always wanted to start a 'blog and never had a good enough reason. :) From time to time, I'll probably share non-SBD tidbits from my life. I'd like to think there is more to my life than this Diet!

Well, here goes nothing! I start next Thursday, November 16th so stay tuned!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Mar! You can do it and I will be here cheering you on. Love you to pieces! Leanna xoxo

Marlene said...

Thanks L!! xoxo!

Lindsay said...

gosh. your history, love it. met hubs at 16? engaged at 20? gahhh now you seem old ;) jk jk. you've really come a long way and i know you are happy with yourself which is the most important part.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I love this.. but I love it more when you tell the story in person. Miss you tons!!