Monday, January 08, 2007

Beach Bum on the Run

I changed the title of my blog today. I have really taken a liking to running - it's challenging, fun and an amazing workout, and it's easy to set long-term goals. It's not like I can aim to do a marathon on the elliptical! So this is no longer a South Beach blog exclusively, it's a South Beach/running blog. I hope nobody minds!

Yesterday I ran another 5 km in 30 minutes. Sorry for the TMI, but the sweat is unreal. After 10 minutes, I am dripping! My plan is to run Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights as well as Saturday and/or Sunday. That will be 20-25 km (12-15 miles) per week. Hopefully after a month or so, I will be able to increase my distance.

I weighed in at 179 this morning, still a stubborn 3 lbs. above my lowest in December, but not too bad. I want to be rid of at least 4 lbs. by the end of the month.

A few recipes from the weekend, taken from the Quick & Easy cookbook:

Sesame Green Beans with Cherry Tomatoes

1 tbsp plus 2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
¾ tsp dark sesame oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 lb green beans, trimmed
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
salt

Whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic in a large mixing bowl.
Bring saucepan of water to a boil. Add beans and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and run under cold water for 30 seconds.
Add beans and tomatoes to soy sauce mixture and toss. Serve at room temperature.

Chicken Piri Piri

¼ C e.v.o.o.
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
¼ tsp salt
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Heat grill to high.
Whisk together first 5 ingredients in a small bowl. Place chicken in a shallow baking dish and add 3 tbsp of marinade. Turn to coat.
Grill chicken, turning often, until juices run clear, about 10 minutes.
Drizzle with remaining sauce in pan (do not use leftover marinade).

South Beach Classic Burger

1-1/2 lbs lean ground beef
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 oz low-fat Swiss cheese
4 tsp Dijon mustard
4 green leaf lettuce leaves
1 medium tomato, sliced
1 small red onion, sliced

Heat grill to medium-high.
Mix together beef, salt and pepper; form into 4 patties. Grill patties to desired doneness.
Top with cheese and cover until melted.
Remove from heat, spread with mustard and top with lettuce, tomato and onion.

1 comment:

Torie and Erik said...

Isn't it a great feeling when you find a workout that you love? Good for you with the running! You'll be doing a marathon in no time.

torie :) (from WB)