Saturday, January 06, 2007

A Personal Victory

Turns out it didn't take me long to get back in shape. Thursday I was able to run for 30 minutes. The good news is that today I ran 5 km (3 miles) in 30 minutes! I didn't expect to achieve that goal for a few more weeks at least. Woohoo! My husband's latest goal is to run 26 km on his 26th Birthday in October. I happen to think he's crazy, but maybe - just MAYBE - I will be able to run it with him.

Thursday and Friday were good. My weight is lingering at a few pounds higher than my pre-Christmas weigh-in, but hopefully not for much longer. I can already feel my clothes fitting better again. In a few more weeks I plan to reward myself with a small shopping spree using $225 in mall gift certificates. I'm aiming for another size smaller.

So today is Day 5 of Phase 1. Just 9 days to go. I am definitely looking forward to having fruits and grains again. As much as it gets easier, it's still tough.

Here are a few recipes that I tried this week from the Quick & Easy cookbook. All yummy!

Baked Barbecue Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp e.v.o.o.
1/2 C South Beach Barbecue Sauce (see below)
salt & freshly ground black pepper

Heat oven to 350F.
Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, 2 minutes per side. Place chicken in an ovenproof baking dish and spoon sauce evenly over top. Bake until chicken is cooked through and sauce is bubbling, 18 to 20 minutes.

South Beach Barbecue Sauce

8 oz tomato sauce
2 tbsp white vinegar
2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder.

Combine all ingredients in a resealable container and refrigerate until ready to use (keeps for one week).

Stuffed Baked Tomatoes

4 plum tomatoes halved lengthwise
3 oz shredded part-skim mozzarella
1/4 C chopped fresh basil
2 tbsp fresh parmesan
1 garlic clove minced
salt and freshly ground black pepper

No comments: