Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Good advice

I mentioned previously that I'm currently reading Hal Higdon's "Marathon:The Ultimate Training Guide."

He offers important advice for novice marathoners:


Regardless of time, regardless of place, the prime goal is to get to the finish line standing up and in reasonably good shape.

...

Finishing should be your firsy gosl, maybe your only goal. Finish with a smile on your facve. Finish knowing you might have done better if you had trained a bit harder or pushed the pace earlier. Notice careful use in the word "might." You might not finish, or even start the race, if you make a mistake in training. Run and train conservatively for your first marathon.


I hereby promise to take this advice. I will train cautiously, and concentrate on the distances I am running rather than my pace. I just want to run this darn thing and find out what the hype is all about. (More on the "hype" in another post...) And hey, the slower I run, the more likely I'll be to achieve a Personal Best in the next one.

But maybe I should worry about one marathon at a time.

For now, I'm going out for a run...in a t-shirt! I love Spring.

No comments: