Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Inspiration

I went to see Spirit of the Marathon tonight. What a truly inspirational film. It basically profiled six runners from completely different walks of life in their journey to the Chicago Marathon, from a "26.2 Virgin" going for her first marathon to the woman who went on to win the race.

We saw them deal with injuries, struggle to balance family life and the intensive training schedule, endure physical and mental exhaustion and ultimately, complete the race with 1.2 million spectators (one of whom was holding a sign reading "YOU'RE ALL CRAZY!") cheering them on. I have goosebumps just thinking about it.

Chicago is an enormous event with over 30,000 runners, rivalling both NYC and London in numbers. And now I want to run it. But again, let's get through one marathon at a time.

This film reaffirmed my decision to tackle the big 26.2 later this year. I truly believe I will be a changed (for the better!) person after training for and completing a marathon. I know I will have to dig deep, I know it is going to be incredibly hard, and somehow, I know I can do it.

Next up: Run Fatboy Run

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck and I know you can accomplish this !

QuebecLibre

Mel-2nd Chances said...

funny blog title! mine was the same tonight, cuz we did the same thing! LOL :D

Mel-2nd Chances said...

sorry, not blog title...post title, but i'm sure you know what i meant ... :)

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Oh, I wish I could have seen it!
Run fatboy Run! I just recently saw that with my brother! It's about the hardwork and dedication too, but it's reallyyyy funny:)

Enjoy!

Topher said...

You'll have to be sure to let us know how Run Fatboy Run is. I'm excited because that's the themesong for my teenage years in gym class (too many bowls of ice cream and not enough movement)