Sunday, November 30, 2008

Finishing November on a good note

I met a friend bright and early this morning for 19K. She trains in heart rate zones and needed two 'sets' of 15 minutes in zone 3 (what that means to me is fast). We did a 15 minute warm-up, then a 15 minute burst at just over 5:00/KM (speedy for me). We cooled down with a 5 minute jog, then completed round 2 in zone 3. This time we were running up a steady incline and the pace was closer to 5:15/KM, which still kept our hearts going. The remainder of the run was supposed to be zone 2 (to me this means conversational pace) but we faced a ton of hills ("Not another one!) so we often found ourselves back in zone 3.

I don't actually train with a heart rate monitor, but apparently I like to pretend that I share the heart rate of my running partner. I was constantly asking, 'What zone are we in now?" as if my heart rate would be the same. Hubby has a fancy new Polar HRM so I think I'm going to try it out this week - it might be interesting to see just what my heart rate is on an easy run compared to a more difficult run.

Unfortunately my running buddy had a lot of knee problems during the second half of the run and we took several walk breaks. It was still a good run overall and we finished 19.15K in 1:54:35 for an average pace just under 6:00/KM. More than anything, I was glad to have the company.

Today's run rounded out my week at just over 40K plus 3 hours of cross-training.

And tomorrow officially marks the beginning of training for my 2009 race schedule. I have a fancy-shmancy program thanks to my hubby and can't wait to kick it off.

Happy Sunday!

20 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Sounds like a great run! I wish i could train more with heart rate, but I have a naturally high heart rate, so it's hard to me to follow any "standards." I'm monitoring it over each run though to see if it decreases as i become more fit. Maybe the new polar will be something you add to your xmas list! Great job on the month, you're doing so well! Keep it up! Looking forward to seeing the fancy-schmancy plan in action! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Sonia said...

Wow great run! Those are two fast set!

I was never attracted to HR training but I hear lots of people are improving their PB by running with it.

Unknown said...

I used to train with a heart rate monitor all the time. Now I like to think I can judge by feel, although I probably can't!

Marcy said...

LOL "What zone are we in now?" You're so cute! I'd be the same way.

Jess said...

I never train with a HRM either, but it does make me curious when I read about those who do. Nice job on the Sunday run!

Unknown said...

I've never tried a heart rate monitor either. I think they might be a little to much to think about for me while I run.

Frayed Laces said...

Watch out---heart rate monitors are incredibly addicting! But, they will improve your training dramatically!

Marci said...

I have tried a HR -and what others say is true, it can improve training, but I hated wearing one, I found it extremely uncomfortable. Can't wait to read about your training plan!

Anonymous said...

Nice run. I never tried running based on Heart rate. I think I would get to confused! Heres to a great 2009 training.

Legs and Wings said...

Sounds good! I've been debating on a Garmin (you may know the story) with a HR monitor. I'm maybe like you in that I'm more/less curious about HR.

I launched my schedule yesterday (30th) so we're on the same timeline...good luck!

Stacey said...

I don't train with a HR monitor either, but maybe there is something to it! Good job on your run. Have a great week and enjoy that new training schedule!

Unknown said...

I would love a heart rate monitor!

Great job on doing the run with her! Nothing like running with someone else too.

joyRuN said...

Happy 2009 training!!

Brian said...

I gotta look into a HRM. Hope your trainign starts out on a good foot! Pun inteded, see what I did there? Foot... runni-.. nevermind :)

J said...

Great job on the run! I can see myself acting the same way if I ran with someone who had a heart rate monitor! Ive been thinking about getting one of those watches that tells you your HR!!

X-Country2 said...

Ha to your "what zone are we in?" I use a heart monitor, but I mostly like it for the calories burned reading. It's fun to follow though.

Aron said...

way to finsih up november!!! awesome job :) looking forward to see how the 2009 plan goes!!!

Runner Leana said...

Glad to hear you had a great finish to the month! I kind of enjoy running by heart rate. I think it makes me realize that I have the capacity to push myself more than I did before. I find that having done the VO2 max test and now training with HR is pretty helpful.

BeachRunner said...

Kick ass week. I love my HRM.

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice run!!