Sunday, November 16, 2008

I survived boot camp, and a slushy 12K

Yesterday morning I had my first taste of Boot Camp.

This is not your mother's workout! Join in this military style workout designed to kick your butt.

They weren't kidding!

The instructor, Tracey, walks in, a tough-looking lady in an army tee that says "DON'T MESS WITH ME!" I learn right off the bat that the answer to every question is a resounding SIR YES SIR! We start with a cardio warm-up - jumping jacks, jogging in place with high knee kicks and a step routine. We then broke off into three separate stations - standing lunges with the rear leg raised on a step, walking lunges with 10-lb free weights and thigh crunches on a balance ball. We went through each station twice, with bursts of cardio in between, several rounds of push-ups (I can only do the girlie ones) and we finished it off with the ab workout from hell. (Owwwwwwww!)

At once point, Tracey caught me doing something wrong. She gets up in my face...
Tracey: WHAT'S YOUR NAME?
Me: I'm not telling.
Tracey: ARE YOU INSANE?


She was tough and I often caught myself checking to see if she was looking so I could slack off and catch my breath for a second. (Shhh, don't tell.) It was one of the best workouts I have ever had and I actually loved every minute of it - even when I hated it. I'll be going back!

We spent the rest of the day watching the Santa Claus parade with hot chocolate (in the rain!) and decorating the house. The dreary rain eventually turned to snow, and it was looking particularly festive by the time we called it a day.

Last night I realized that after nine consecutive days of working out and/or running, I did not have it in me for a long run today. I managed to latch on to a couple friends who were running 12K and met them at 9 this morning. I woke up to a snow-covered neighbourhood. It was 0C (=32F) but felt great as the sun warmed up. Unfortunately, the snowy roads and sidewalks quickly became a slushy mess and it turned into a pretty wet run. Still, with good company it was enjoyable. One of us was sick, one of us was recovering from a severe hip injury and one of us (me!) was just plain exhausted, so it was a slow 12K at 6:02/KM pace.

In the process, they also convinced me to join the full marathon clinic starting in January. We will have a combination of 8 different instructors with extensive experience and it's going to be a great bunch of people. These instructors go the extra mile to organized varied routes, often point-to-point, and always plan a brunch for afterwards. Sounds like just what I'll need to get the miles in through this Canadian winter.

But for now I'm looking forward to a relaxing afternoon. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

25 comments:

Road Warrior said...

Geez, Marlene, the military workout hardly sounds like fun to me. To each his/her own, I guess.

Glad to hear you're getting out and braving the colder weather. Keep us posted!

Unknown said...

I'd probably be intimidated at a workout like that...and never go back

Good for you for sticking it out and resolving to do it again.

Marci said...

Is that cardiocore bootcamp? That was the bootcamp I did last winter and into the spring. There are things I like and don't like about the bootcamp.
Good for you for trying so many different things. I just wrote a post about this. Enjoy your Sunday!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

great job on the bootcamp! and the clinic sounds like a good one, and you're right, the motivation for winter running is very helpful! :)

Jess said...

I wouldn't do well in a boot camp workout; I don't take yelling at me very well, but I can understand how it motivates others.

Nice job on both the boot camp and the run!

J said...

WOw 9 days in a row! That sure is alot - i know that exhausted feeling.

Lily on the Road said...

OMG, you didn't give her your name, with a yes sir behind it...court martial for you chica!!!

yumke said...

Good for you on keeping up the mileage. I'm getting to grips that this is gonna be another chilly winter..

Unknown said...

LOL to I'm not telling! I love it!

Nikemom said...

I love your comment "I'm not telling." haha That is something I would do. Keep us updated on the boot camp. I think it sounds fabulous. Maybe you could send Ms. Hitler this way when she's done with you. :D

Anonymous said...

The boot camp sounds like so much fun. I love doing all that stuff. However, thhe yelling in my face, I would probably just laugh.

Zorbs said...

I'm actually surprised the other people in the class didn't yell, "don't tell her!" when she asked your name..that used to be standard.

And apparently Tracey's yelling drove the people in the kettlebell class nuts yesterday, they were complaining about it this morning.

Shoe Running said...

Dang! She's tough! "Are you insane"...yaoza! I guess it would be motivating though :)

joyRuN said...

"Me: I'm not telling." - LOL!! Way to hang in there.

That marathon clinic sounds great! I wish we had one around here.

Run Mommy said...

I think Marci was asking if this was Cardio Core Bootcamp? I also did this (it is where I met Marci) and had mixed feelings. Definately great to mix it up though!

Frayed Laces said...

Yikes that bootcamp sounds scary---I wouldn't give her my name either!

X-Country2 said...

I'd LOVE to do a boot camp like that one day! Now go get some rest this week. You've earned it.

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO HAHAHAHHA Did you really say "I'm not telling"? HAHAHHAAAA That's too funny! And yes you're sick. That sounds SCARY!

Unknown said...

I think any motivation to keep running in the winter months is very helpful. Good idea joining the marathon clinic.

Legs and Wings said...

That's funny. Years ago I loaded a bunch of military cadence stuff on my iPod. Sounds like you're well prepared for our winter.

Heather said...

The class sounds fun - I don't blame you for taking it easy after that! I love Christmas too . . . reading your post made me want to get my decorations out, but my husband is a grinch and forces me to wait until after Thanksgiving.

Chic Runner said...

Those classes are so hardcore! and running in the snow! You are the bravest person I know! :)

Aron said...

LOL "im not telling" you are hilarious :)

i have a couple of friends who do bootcamp classes... those are intense!!! and 9 days of working out?!? sounds like you were ready for a break!

Denise said...

I used to take boot camp classes twice a week. They are the best work outs!! Looking forward to getting back to some of the classes when the marathon training is over.

Runner Leana said...

Wow, that sounds like one intimidating workout! Great job on going for the marathon clinic to keep the motivation up!