Thursday, November 13, 2008

Is that a cramp, or....

...just my stinging abdominal muscles?

Last night I went for my scheduled 7.5K run, and immediately felt a sharp pain under my ribs on both sides. It felt like a cramp so I just tried to breathe deeply and ignore it. Unfortunately, it would not subside and I felt it through the entire 40-or-so minute run. It was on my way home that I finally realized it wasn't a cramp at all, but my screaming abdominal muscles as a result of the previous two nights' fitness classes.

I've mentioned before that I have always neglected my core, so after the pilates-infused yoga on Monday night and core-segments of Tuesday night's interval class, I was definitely feeling it. I keep reminding myself that I have to stick with it and it will hurt less every time... right?

In other news, we booked our flights to Halifax last night! WestJet was having a seat sale and we scored a sweet deal for our tickets from May 13-20, 2009. The Bluenose International Marathon falls on Sunday the 17th, so this gives us a 4 days before to explore and a couple days after to recover before the flight home. Next step: registration!

22 comments:

Marcy said...

Oooohhh man nothing like the aftershock of a class. YIKES! Keep at it chica ;-)

J said...

That sounds like me - My lat muscles (right beside my ribs and into my shoulders) has been hurting! Yesterday it was hard to run!

Legs and Wings said...

Hey - wow...I'll be running that one too. Perfect. I'll see you then.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

lol... this is a good pain though :) awesome that you got the flights already!! Get registered! LOL

BeachRunner said...

Congrats on the tix and the core workout. Keep on rocking.

joyRuN said...

Sounds like your six-pack was thanking you :)

Awesome job running through that pain for 40+ minutes!!

GroundedFitness said...

haha- if that were my blog entry it would have gone "I felt a pain in my belly so i stopped." great job finishing it up!

i always get sore the evening after a workout. its like it slowly creeps up on me throughout the next day and right around 6 I cant move. its like clockwork.

Kelly Turner
www.groundedfitness.com

Aron said...

ohhh the only place i have been to in canada is nova scotia! my best friend from college moved there and i got to go be her maid of honor there... such a pretty place!

Unknown said...

Hope the muscles start feeling better.

Felice Devine said...

Ah, the core. It's a tough area to deal with. Do stick with it and it WILL hurt less with time!

tfh said...

Sorry about the soreness! I would be happy if I were you, though (once I'd finished that painful run, of course)-- it means the cross-training is working and your core is becoming stronger!

Marky Mark said...

You bought the airline tickets so now you're committed-good for you! ATB will be a good step in the training process. The trick is, as you say, getting from here to there given our climate and the need to run in the dark a lot of the time.

Anonymous said...

Planning a vacation around a marathon is a great idea. Plus, it is nice to not have to rush around.

Heather said...

Gotta love the sore abs! All that cross training will make you speedy for your 09 schedule.

X-Country2 said...

The soreness means it's working! Good luck on your marathon. May will be here before you know it.

JenZen said...

Man - you just reminded me that I really need to do some core work after this race. My little one pack just ain't cutting it anymore. :)

Janice {Run Far} said...

Hi.. I popped over from "Runner Girl"

I have just recently started up Yoga, and I love it. I can always feel that I have worked the entire body top to bottom... especially the Core, which needs it the most.

Marci said...

I guess the expression no pain no gain comes to mind! Just proves that all the x training is working! How exciting about your spring marathon. I bet it will be beautiful scenery. Are you from the East coast?

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Woohoo...Exciting:)
You're gonna rock it. Hope you're feeling better!

Gotta Run..... said...

You have to love a sale on Air Flight seats!!!

Chic Runner said...

We are in the same boat. We are in the same boat!

Amp'd Abs = Death.

Try the hill program. I feel like I got so much out of it, but maybe not for 45 minutes the first time.. ha ha. killer!

Unknown said...

I've experienced that before!! It does get easier if you keep with it though, eventually the abs stop screaming at you. :-)