Thursday, November 06, 2008

Take it and Run Thursday: Transitions

It's Thursday again and this week's topic is Running Through Transitions.

I mentioned yesterday that I am currently in a state of limbo, having completed my last race of 2008 and not yet ready to start training for my first race of 2009. It got me thinking about the fact that I've allowed myself to fall into a bad habit of limiting my exercise exclusively to running. It seems that I run... or do nothing. I know how important it is to incorporate cross-training, and yet I don't do it. I've tried using the elliptical or bike at the gym and even lifting weights occasionally, but I find it dreadfully boring and can't seem to stay motivated.

In the spirit of transitions and change, I'm trying something new. I'm a member of a fantastic fitness club with a wide variety of classes (all included!), and I've never tried a single one. I went online, printed the schedule and descriptions of the classes and decided on a few that I'd like to try.

Body Sculpt Yoga: Discover the subtle, dramatic way yoga can transform your body. Sculpt, lengthen, strengthen and align.

Boot Camp: This is not your mother's workout! Join in this military style workout designed to kick your butt.

H.O.T. (High Octane Training): Get your heart rate up using a combo of athletic based movements and intervals.

Spin: Ride your way to a new level of fitness in this exhilarating body challenging class.

It's going to be a new experience for me incorporating cross-training, especially in the form of group classes. I'm turning over a new leaf! There's no time like the present, so I start tonight with my first ever spin class. I don't want to give myself too much time to chicken out. I even woke up early this morning for a sunrise 5K (only the second or third time ever that I have run before work).

I'm in for a beating tonight, aren't I? Any words of wisdom for a first-timer?

21 comments:

J said...

My friend took the Boot Camp class at the gym and she said it really worked here out well! I am sure the classes will be fun and exciting!!

Spin classes are too bad! You will do great!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

that sounds great Marlene! enjoy! i like spin classes... it's a fast paced workout, and leaves you feeling like you've worked, take it at your own pace. Ok, you want motivation? Jay took one with me, finished it, and enjoyed it. Now that you know him, that should tell you enuf LOL :D can't wait to hear about it!

joyRuN said...

Did you have to pick the most tortuous cross-training venues?! j/k

Good luck with the classes - sounds like they'll be fun :)

Marcy said...

Oh my gawd that H.O.T class sounds scary to me LMAO!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy spin class. It is nice because you can adjust the tension to challege yourself more if you want.

All the classes look really good. You should try them all out.

Nicole Orriëns said...

I've 'spun' and I found it a great exercise in going nowhere really fast.

So spinning is not for me, but I hope you have a good time!

Jess said...

I'm like you I either run or do nothing, and that's not good. It's just that I mostly like running!

Sonia said...

I am the same as you, when I run I do it full force and I cannot bear to do anything else. I always say I'm going to cross train today but the couch is more appealing LOL

Now, that cross training is the only thing I can do, I can see the benefits... but if I could go back to run 5-6 days a week... I think I would only do that... again!

I think you'll like the spin classes. As long as you have a good prof, those are a great workout!

Zorbs said...

As I said in my email, tell Tracey (boot camp instructor) that you know me. Her class was the first one I ever ventured into 8.5 years ago and I still think she is the best instructor EVER.

Vava said...

Best of luck on the cross training! I think your plan on attending some classes is great since it will likely not be very boring, and you'll probably make some new friends along the way. Not to mention, it will help you to run faster and longer, prevent injury, etc...

tfh said...

I find that cross-training keeps my running fresh. Hope you'll find some of those options exciting! I think yoga (and pilates) has especially helped me from becoming too one-dimensional.

X-Country2 said...

I need to join a gym like that! I've heard fantastic things about spin classes, so hopefully you love it.

BeachRunner said...

Those are some great cross training options. Have fun.

Julianne said...

You are so lucky to have so many options! I loooove boot camp stuff. Totally kicked my butt into gear! :-)

Midwest said...

I'm new to your blog and just wanted to say how much I love the picture of you crossing the finish line at your marathon. What a beautiful look of triumph and joy on your face!

Steve Stenzel said...

Boot camp sounds fun!!

And spinning is as only as good as the instructor! I've learned that a long time ago!

Have fun!!

Carly said...

I have no advice because I have not done any of those classes. Good job taking the step to incorporate cross training.

Lily on the Road said...

I am going through exactly that...a state of limbo...

thanks for the great ideas...now I have to just pack my gym bag!!! oh and go........

Aron said...

wear something tight! i wore loose shorts to my first spin class and definitely paid for it - ouch! they are a blast - you will have a great time!

Chic Runner said...

I like your thoughts, I've been looking into classes like this too lately. Sculpting is the keyword!

Shoe Running said...

Way to go thinking outside the box about working out :) I totally do the same thing with running or nothing...it usually works for me, but I think it would be really fun to mix it up more. Hope your class leaves you with that delicious feeling of well deserved tiredness. :)